Wright State University
Boonshoft School of Medicine
Procedure number: 420
Created: April 2008
Subject: Dismissal/Suspension of Fully Affiliated Faculty Member
Cause for Dismissal/Suspension
- Demonstrated incompetence of dishonesty in teaching or scholarship, or
- Substantial and manifest neglect of duty, or
- Personal conduct which substantially impairs the individual's fulfillment of the individual's institutional responsibilities, or
- Malicious conduct which directly obstructs the performance of instructional or scholarly programs authorized of permitted by the university
- Charges may be brought against a faculty member by an administrator or a faculty member. Such charges shall be made in writing with reasonable particularity of the grounds for removal or suspension within one or more of the categories listed above. The charges shall be presented to the Dean of Medicine.
- The Dean of Medicine shall, as soon as possible, inform the accused faculty member in writing of the charges, specifying which one or combination of the categories listed above comprise the basis of the charges.
- Before a formal hearing is conducted, the Dean of Medicine or designee shall call a meeting with the faculty member against whom charges have been brought, to review the charges and provide the faculty member an opportunity to present his or her case.
- If after informal discussion the Dean of Medicine or designee determines that charges are warranted, he or she shall submit the matter to the Office of Faculty and Clinical Affairs, which shall arrange a formal hearing.
- Full pay will be continued during this procedure until termination of the faculty member's contract.
- When in the judgment of the President of the University or a provost the presence of a School of Medicine faculty member on University premises presents a threat to health or safety of any person in the University community or represents a threat of disruption of or interference with any normal and lawful activities of the University, its staff or students, the President or a provost may suspend the faculty member pending the disposition of the disciplinary process provide for in this procedure. Such suspension shall be with pay. The President or a provost may also direct that the faculty member be removed and barred from University premises.
Updated April 8, 2008(sho)