Richard Simman, M.D., FACS, FACCWS
Founding President and Chair, American Board of Wound Medicine
Louvain Catholic University, Brussels, Belgium. Graduated with title of Doctor in Medicine, Surgery, and Delivery.
Resident in General Surgery St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital Center (Teaching Hospital of Columbia University), New York, N.Y.
Fellow in Burn Surgery, State University of New York at Stony Brook, N.Y.
Research Scientist at the Living Skin Bank, State University of New York at Stony Brook, N.Y. Basic science and clinical research on: Frozen cultures epithelial allografts and autografts and their use in second and third degree burns. In-vitro research on keloid fibroblasts.
Resident in Plastic Surgery, Providence Hospital, Southfield, Mich.
- In order to determine the origin of the keloid phenotype, studies the signal transduction pathways initiated by the extracellular matrix resulting in altered gene transcription in keloid and non-keloid fibroblasts.
- Effect of mitomycin-c of keloid fibroblast proliferation: An in-vitro study.
- The Effect of Hyaluronic Acid (HA) on Keloid Fibroblasts.
- Worked with pioneers of keratinocyte cell biology and the related culture techniques necessary for analysis of factors responsible for the CEA (Cultured Epithelial Allograft) enhancement of wound healing and the use of CEA (Autografts) for the permanent engraftment for the treatment of third degree burn patients.
- Isolation techniques of adult multipotent bone marrow stem cells and their use in angiogenesis. Improved ischemic random flap survival through the use of multipotent stem cells and angiogenic growth factors, An animal study.
- The effect of Platelet Rich Plasma in enhancing the healing process of bone fracture in rats.
- Molecular Mechanisms and Modeling of Skin Irritation from JP-8 Fuel.
- A Carbon Monoxide Study: How Long After Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning Can Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO) Therapy Prevent Irreversible Brain Damage? Is 100 Percent Normobaric Oxygen as Effective as HBO? A collaborative effort between the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and the United States Department of Defense, Naval Health Research Center.
American Board of Plastic Surgery, Diplomate
Founding President and Chair of the American Board of Wound Medicine and Surgery
The American Burn Association, 2001–present
The Plastic Surgery Research Council, 2003–present
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2003–present
Associate Fellow of American College of Surgeons, 2003–2007
Dayton Plastic Surgery Society, 2003–present
American Society for Aesthetics Plastic Surgery Inc. (candidate), 2003–present
American Academy of Wound Management, 2003–December 2011
Montgomery Country Medical Society, 2004–present
Graduate Faculty (Graduate Studies and Research), 2005–present
Member of the Medical Science Monitor International Reviewers Panel (IRP), 2006–present
Founding President of the American Board of Wound Medicine and Surgery, October 2011–present
Past president of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, January 2007–December 2009
Fellow of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists (FACCWS), 2005–present
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS,) 2007–present
Editor-in-chief of the Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, 2009–present
- Simman R, Priebe C Jr, Soroff HS, Simon M: Reconstruction of aplasia cutis congenita of the trunk in a newborn infant using AlloDerm and cultured epithelial autografts. Published at the Plastic Surgery Forum, Annual Meeting of the American Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Boston, MA, 109-112, October 3-7, 1998.
- Simman R, Talisman R, Hatch G, Soroff HS, Simon M: Cultured palmar keratinocytes after auto engraftment to plantar surface maintain site and function specificity. Plast Reconstr Surg 104(1): 175-179, 1999.
- Chipev CC, Simman R, Hatch G, Katz AE, Siegel DM, Simon M: Myofibroblast phenotype and apoptosis in keloid and palmar fibroblasts in-vitro. Cell Death Differ 7(2): 166-176, 2000.
- Simman R, Priebe CJ, Simon M: Reconstruction of aplasia cutis congenita of the trunk in a newborn infant using acellular allogenic dermal graft and cultured epithelial autografts. Ann Plast Surg 44(4): 451-454, 2000.
- Simman R, Fietti V: Closed rupture of FDP tendon of the fifth digit: Case report. Hospital Physician 36(7): 55-57, 2000.
- Jackson IT, Simman R. Tholen R, DiNick V: A successful long-term method of fat grafting: Recontouring of a large subcutaneous postradiation thigh defect with autologous fat transplantation. Aesth Plast Surg 25: 165-169, 2001.
- Simman R, Jackson IT, Andrus L: Prefabricated buccal mucosa lined flap that could be used for vaginal reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 109(3): 1044-1049, 2002.
- Simman R, Alani H, Williams F: The effect of mitomycin-c on keloid fibroblasts: An in-vitro study. Ann Plast Surg, 50(1): 71-76, 2003
- Simman R, Brief Communication: Reconstruction aplasia cutis congenita (group V) of the trunk in a newborn. Plast Reconstr Surg 113(3): 1103, 2004.
- Simman R, Forte R, Silverberg B, Moriera-Gonzalez A: A comparative histological pilot study of skin graft take with tie-over bolster dressing versus vacuum assisted closure in a pig model. Wounds 16(2):76-80, 2004.
- Simman R. Management of aplasia cutis congenital in a non-scalp location. Br J of Plast Surg, 57(5):469-470, July 2004.
- Simman R, Medial plantar arch pinch graft as an alternative technique to resurface moderate size plantar and palmar wounds. Ann Plast Surg 53(3):256-260, Sept. 2004.
- Eisenbud D, Hettrick, H, Evans C, Simman, R. Interdisciplinary certification in wound management: Five year results using the CWS examination. Wounds 17(7):336-340, Sept. 2004.
- Moriera-Gonzalez A, Simman R, Jackson IT, Pieper DR, Cambra JB: Skull base tumors: A comprehensive review of transfacial swing osteotomy approaches. Plast Reconstr Surg, 115(3):711-720, March 2005.
- Simman R, Craft C, McKinney B: Improved ischemic random skin flap survival through the use of nonhematopoietic bone marrow stem cells and angiogenic growth factors. Ann of Plast, 54(5):546-552, May 2005.
- Simman R, Sanger C, Thompson J, DeFranzo JA: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the face, surgical management. J Craniofacial Surg, 16(3):439-443, May 2005.
- Hoffmann A, Hoying JL, Simman, R: Role of hyaluronic acid treatment in the prevention of keloid scarring. E-Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists: Issue 1:1-14, Nov/Dec 2006.
- Gokoo C, Abraham S, Simman R. Cell death, tissue death, and wound healing. Podiatry Management, 147-152, August 2007.
- Simman, R, Hoffmann A, Bohinc RJ, Peterson WC. Role of platelet-rich plasma in acceleration of bone fracture healing. Annals of Plast Surg. May 2008.
- Spencer B, Abraham S, Young S, Simman R. The nature of wound exudates. Podiatry Management, Nov/Dec 2007.
- Simman R. Wound Closure and the Reconstructive Ladder in Plastic Surgery. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, Jan 2009: 1(1): 6-11.
- Simman R. Letters to the Editor: Discussion on edema management in lower extremities after flap or skin graft surgery. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, April 2009: 1(2):73-74.
- Simman R. Letters to the Editor: The use of Medihoney in the treatment of chronic wounds. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, July 2009: 1(3):101.
- Simman R. Posttraumatic Tophaceous Gout: A Case Report and Literature Review. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, December 2009: 1(4):114-116.
- Simman R: Gammopathy-Associated Acrosclerosis as a Cause of Flexion Contractures in an Older Adult Patient: A Case Report and Literature Review. Skin & Wound Care, January 2010 : 23(1):25-28.
- Fleck C, Simman R. Use of Alternative Support Surfaces to Air-Fluidized for the Care of Complex Wounds, Post-Flap and Post-Graft Patients. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, March 2010: (2): 4-8.
- Simman R, Haluschek J, Jackson S. Complicated Lower Extremity Wound Caused by ITP Leading to Hypercoagulable State, A Team Approach for Limb Salvage. A case report and literature review. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. June 2010: (2): 28-31.
- Simman R, Fleck C. Modern Collagen Wound Dressings – Function And Purpose. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. Dec 2010:(2): 50-54.
- Magro C, Simman R, Jackson S. Calciphylaxis, Review article. Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. May 2011: 2(4): 66-72.
- Simman R, Phavixa L. Split-Thickness Skin Grafts Remain the Gold Standard for the Coverage of Large Acute and Chronic Wounds. Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists. June, 2012: 3(3): 55-59.