Resident Continuity Clinic
Educational objectives of the resident continuity clinic for the adult neurology resident are to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes to perform a thorough neurological exam and to diagnose and manage non-acute neurological illness by providing faculty supervised care to a diverse population of patients representing the broad range of neurological illnesses. The resident begins to develop understanding of longitudinal progression and resolution of neurological disease states and how to evaluate and manage neurological diseases over time. The resident will assume an ascending level of responsibility with appropriate faculty supervision based upon maturation of knowledge, skills and attitudes applicable to the educational goals of this experience.
The specific educational goals for the Resident Continuity Clinic are:
- A practical experience in obtaining an orderly and detailed history from the patient, conducting a thorough neurological examination and organizing and recording data.
- Understanding of the indications for and the limitations of clinical neurodiagnostic tests and their interpretation.
- The ability to correlate information derived from neurodiagnostic studies with the clinical history and examination in formulating a differential diagnosis and management plan.
- Understand the effective follow-up evaluation and management process for chronic and short-term neurological disorders; how to adjust treatment plans to the individual patient as they progress thru variable disease states.
- Participation in the evaluation of and decision-making for patients with disorders of the nervous system requiring surgical management.
- Participation in the management of patients with psychiatric and neuropsychiatric disorders.
- To better understand the principles of bioethics and the provision of appropriate and cost effective evaluation and treatment of patients with neurological disorders.
- Participation in end-of-life palliative care including adequate pain relief and psychosocial support and counseling for family members about these issues.