Wright State University
Boonshoft School of Medicine
Policy 3B: Guidelines for Appointment and Promotion for Partially Affiliated Faculty
Last Revision: December 2004
II. Clinical (Adjunct) Associate Professor
The following criteria are those ordinarily expected in the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine (School) for appointment or promotion to clinical (adjunct) associate professor.
For the academic rank of clinical (adjunct) associate professor the candidate must have documented evidence of sustained and high performance that is recognized by peers in his/her field within the local community.
1. Degree. Candidates must hold the terminal degree in their fields.
2. Certification. Physician faculty must have board certification in their specialties or sub specialties. Other faculty members shall be certified in their fields if such certification is available or applicable.
3. Time in previous rank. A minimum of five years at the clinical (adjunct) assistant professor level is ordinarily required to demonstrate the sustained superior performance expected for appointment or advancement to clinical (adjunct) associate professor.
4. Sustained and high performance in medical education and service relevant to the School. Because of the close relationship with its affiliated institutions, the school recognizes activities in the affiliated institutions. Performance should be documented as high in quality as well as in quantity. Evidence of quality includes leadership (as contrasted to membership or simple participation) and significant impact from the candidate's efforts. Expected activities are:
a. Teaching involving either medical students, residents or practicing physicians, or a combination thereof.
b. Service involving significant committees, advisory bodies or administration, or a combination thereof.
c. Scholarly consultation and collaboration.
5. The candidate must have achieved broad recognition and respect by peers as a superior practitioner in the field. The candidate should have an outstanding local reputation.
Updated March 28, 2006 (sho)
Previous (Clinical Professor)
Next (Clinical Assistant Professor)