The Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine has been (re)surveyed by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and awarded Accreditation with Comendation for six (6) years as a provider of continuing medical education for physicians. (August 2013 - July 31, 2019)
ACCME accreditation seeks to assure the medical community and the public that Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine provides physicians with relevant, effective, practice-based continuing medical education that that supports US health care quality improvement.
The ACCME employs a rigorous, multilevel process for evaluating institutions' continuing medical education programs according to the high accreditation standards adopted by all seven ACCME member organizations. These organizations of medicine in the US are the American Board of Medical Specialties, the American Hospital Association, the American Medical Association, the Association for Hospital Medical Education, the Association of American Medical Colleges, the Council of Medical Specialty Societies, and the Federation of State Medical Boards of the US, Inc.
2013 Self-Study Process
For updated accreditation information, visit the ACCME website. The ACCME requires all accredited providers to complete a self-study report and submit 15 random files to demonstrate performance-in-practice chosen at the ACCME discretion. The self-study report describes program guidelines and examples to prove all ACCME Essential Areas and Elements including Standards for Commercial Support are met.
Reporting to the ACCME
The Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) requires all CME providers to submit an annual report in March. We use a web-based database entitled Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS). PARS replaces previous reporting requirements including an annual summary and the activity list submitted during the accreditation self-study every 4-6 years.
ACCME requires the following information related to every CME activity:
- Activity type (e.g. Course, Regularly Scheduled Series (RSS), Enduring Material, etc.)
- Activity title
- Activity date
- Activity location (Courses and RSS only)
- Reporting year
- Sponsorship (Direct or Joint)
- Hours of instruction
- Designed to change competence, performance and/or patient outcomes?
- Changes in competence, performance and/or patient outcomes evaluated?
- Number of physicians who participated in the activity
- Number of non-physicians who participated in the activity
- Commercial support received? (Y/N)
- If Yes, number of commercial supporters?
- If Yes, total value of commercial support received (monetary or in-kind)
PARS can also collect optional information on
- Content areas
- Subcategories for courses
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ designated
- Names of joint sponsors and commercial supporters
- The nature of in-kind support
- Some activity-specific income and expense information
The CME provider must also detail program summary including
- Total amount of commercial support in [Reporting Year]
- Total advertising & exhibit income received in [Reporting Year]
- Total income received from other sources in [Reporting Year]
- Total expenses of your CME unit in [Reporting Year]